Thursday, September 16, 2010

Do I have sleep apnea?

Yesterday I had my sleep consultation to clear me for sleep apnea prior to surgery. It was an interesting appointment. I have never ever been told that I may possibly have sleep apnea even through the years of large tonsils, being overweight for a majority of my life, and even when I have had sleeping issues, the doctors and I knew that they stemmed from the PTSD I have and when I'm on the correct medicine I sleep fine and do not wake up. At my consultation appointment the respiratory therapist told me that most likely my sleep apnea is causing all of my anxiety. He also told me that the night terrors that I have are not related to my history of abuse (which were real situations) and that the nightterrors are more likely the cause of sleep apnea. Now I am not a doctor, but I do know my body. I've been under care for my anxiety for an extended period of time and I know for certain that my nightterrors are related to the PTSD and panic disorder and the medication I am taking along with talk therapy are healing the process. I'm not saying it could be a contributing factor, but I feel that the gentleman may be a little off considering I have multiple conditions. I did some research last night and I could not find anything where it states sleep apnea causes nightterrors so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm not buying the stock of what he is selling on that partciular point.

I have to have a sleep study where they monitor my breathing over night and see how I react and if I do stop breathing or have any of the symptoms that may diagnose me fully with sleep apnea. I was really terrified about the sleep study because I can't have anything put over my face and they sometimes use large masks for cpap machines - which are machines that force you to breathe with an continuous flow of air into your lungs. I was assured that I could have a cpap monitoring me that night and that it would only cover my nose. I know it will be weird, but I'm hopeful that I can make it through. I will also have my regular meds that night so I should sleep through everything! Check something else off the list of things to do for surgery.
I really hope that I don't have sleep apnea, but I am hopeful that no matter what happens my WLS can fix that too! Amazing what God has given surgeons the power to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment