Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 731 - 2 years post-op part 1

I've been trying to write this post for 5 days and the more I write the more I realize this is a multi-post. So I apologize for not having the epic TA DA #2 year post surgery blog done on Jan 10, but this marker in my life has made me very introspective and I've been doing alot of thinking, journaling, and rethinking. I wanted to share with you all not just the journey, but the reasoning behind my journey.

To celebrate Year 2 Post Op I decided to something more celebratory. Being down size (inches) and in clothes alongside physical size of less weight, my body can do more. So to celebrate year 2 I went Ice Skating!!!!! Why would I chose this? Here is the story.

I went Ice Skating once when I was 13 and fairly obese. I fell more than I could remember and I was saddened that here I was at the Carousel in Ocean City, Maryland and not be able to go a foot. I could roller skate but what I know now that I didn't know then is I was unaware of my balance, my center of gravity and at well over 250 lbs it isn't easy to do on your ankles. I've never been one to just do active stuff, but in honor of this 2 year marker I asked my husband why not! It also hearkens back to the day of my surgery Jan 10, 2011 - snow/ice storm and my white knuckled husband driving from Murfreesboro all the way to Vanderbilt in Nashville to let me have my surgery. Snow/Ice wins!

I was happy to have my husband along on Sunday to take pictures of this epic challenge. My friends Nikki and Jason came out to skate and I was uber surprise to have a new friend Jenn join me too. She is a fellow WLS patient who is new post op. She is my sister from another mother I swear and she came and watched, encouraged, and took pictures. It was so sweet to be able to say....I'm tying my own skates with ease. I'm walking on skates...omg I'm doing it. I got on the ice and made it around the rink 4 times without holding on!


Photo: Woohoo! Melissa on Ice
Picture by Jenn



I learned that softer and cleaner ice is easier to skate on and that if you are going to fall lean forward. I also had help crossing the ice too thanks to Nikki and Jason. I was sore. I was tired, but I did something that I would of never done 2 years ago. Never in my wildest dreams would I have been able to physically do this and would have allowed the embarrassment of my weight to stop me. Not today! YOLO!!!

On the way to the rink, my husband and I talked about the last two years and what they have meant. The struggles, the successes, the issues, the ah hah moments. It is interesting to hear how my life has changed from my point of view, but also from Justin's. We took this journey together and we walk it together through sugar lows, protein shakes, weight loss books, and more. This effort isn't solely me...there is a support.

I am happy to say that I'm lucky enough to have support all the way through my journey. Support may not have been in person, but my girls Sam and Christina online have been a God sent friend in time of struggle, gain, and winning. I'm lucky to have met in person friends that have been through the journey too and Jenn is someone that I am lucky to have met because her attitude and her love of life reminds me of me when I just started and keeps me remember all the good that comes out of this surgery and the hard work we do.

It isn't about a stat. It isn't about a number. It surely isn't about a scale. I'm reminded when I choose to celebrate these milestones that I'm living. I'm living a life I only imagined. I was given hope back into my life when I thought hope had left me. I love me. I love my life. I love where I am right at this moment.

Part 2  I will get down to the skinny of it! I've got pictures in my surgery clothes, pics in a dress I only dreamed of wearing, stats, inches, sizes and all that jazz because perspective is always good to remember.





2 comments:

  1. OMG I loved this story! We truly grow when we challenge ourselves to step out of our comfort zone. You did this AND shared pictures with us. I can feel that you are truly proud of yourself and I am proud of you too!!!! Wow. This story tops my day in the inspiration department. So glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing! I am so excited that you were able to do something that you have always wanted to do! I have always wanted to go ice skating but have been afraid too because I'm clumsy and I didn't want to fall and break a bone or something. Way to go girl, you've been there done that! (insert a little bit of jealousy here) =D

    ReplyDelete