Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reuse, Reduce, Recycle YOUR BRAS

Bras are expensive. It makes me almost feel bad to throw them away and I just can't throw them away. I'm one of those girls who will wear them till they break apart, especially when I was heavy and they were uber expensive. So when I took on the tast to fit myself properly and throw out the old someone posted on my blog about donating old bras. Now this was not a usual donation. It wasn't to donate to the Goodwill or the Salvation Army. It wasn't about a clothing swap with other WLS patients, it was about a ministry that makes quilts. Unusual? Maybe, but a Godsend because what a unique opportunity to do. I can recycle my bras to help others. I can reduce the load in my closet and reduce the quanitity needed for a ministry. They can reuse something that I didn't think was possible. So after receiving this blog comment I emailed Jennifer. This is the email I received back. If you would like to contact her please email her at jennifer mcconnelly with quilts4homeless@yahoo.com
Thank you very much for writing. We would greatly appreciate your "old stash"! We work on the quilts all through the year so we are always in need of items for the quilts, especially bras to use for the handles! We work almost completely from donated materials so every little bit really helps.


Since we cut the bras up into pieces we can use, the condition of them does not matter at all. They can have holes, rips, broken wires/straps, worn out, etc.. We can also use any bra regardless of size, style, color, etc...


You may send them to us at:


Jennifer McConnelly
1729 South First Street
Springfield, Illinois 62704

We are gratefull for your help with our cause. It is because of caring people like you that we are able to do the work that we do!
I hope that you had a great day and we look forward to hearing from you again soon!


God Bless,
Jennifer


What a cool and unique ministry! I did some research and found out that Jennifer's mom actually started the ministry. She passed in 2008 and Jennifer has kept going with her mother's quilting group. I think this is an awesome opportunity to give back and not throw away the old "us" but repurpose it! I want to challenge my friends and bloggers to send her a package! What a great way to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment