Saturday, October 15, 2011

Early Morning Reflections

I am rarely an insomniac. When I can't sleep there is usually one of two very good reasons - either I'm up dealing with a duty call with students or anxiety. Tonight it is a wave of anxiety - now don't get me wrong I'm not anxious per say but the last three days have included eating, medicine taking, seeing docs, and sleeping. I woke up at around 4 am and couldn't go back to bed so I thought I would make my away time productive. I got up and ate one of my quiches from yesterday that was so much better the 2nd day around and the perfect size for the tummy and I took my medicine dose (so I know in about a half an hour I'll be sound asleep). This is one of those fall saturday mornings that I would love to go and wander the farmer's market, but since I have no driving privileges until my meds change alas a trip to the grocery store with the hubs will have to do! I definitely know that this week there will be some super yummy recipes for my tummy!

Here are my meal ideas:
1. Zucchini and Yellow Squash puree over Quino - an adaptation of a recipe my dad used to make
2. Sloppy Joe Caserole -http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/sloppy-joe-casserole-recipe/1/ - I'm going to make it WLS friendly by making me a smaller portion with no corn, 1/2 of a 1/2 of biscuit to cover the top and add lots of onions and green peppers.
3. Egg Quiche with sausage crumbles

I also got turned onto a blog that is made for working mom's through a facebook friend. This is the source of my quiche recipe - but more than that I was really inspired to have a cooking day where I cut everything up, prepackage all the veggies, spices, and meats together so that I literally can dump it in the crockpot or put it in the oven and go! Now this would be even more ideal if hubs and I ate the same thing and I've been trying to do that, but it is too far off my diet to be comfy but I can take things he likes and make them WLS friendly and high in protein. I really like her idea of putting things together to pop in the crock pot etc and though I'm not sure about mixing my meat with the rest, I definitely can do this for a few weeks at a time. A lot of the food I make will freeze nice, so pot pies insides can be frozen into individual portions, soups, and quiches too! I never thought I would be this woman, but being frugal and being a WLS patient is possible if you shop on sale, use your protein right, and look for recipes. I don't feel like I'm missing out on alot - except when I crave foods like chips and such that we all go through. I've paid dearly for cravings....so I have to alter my food to make my world a more happier place.

Things I Love Right Now:
1. Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus
2. Fuji Apple and Pear Sobe
3. Squash
4. Pumpkin
5. The food processor (that i just learned how to use)
6. Learning to flash freeze
7. My friends - though near or far you all keep me trucking on!
8. My new taste buds that I'm developing
9. Couponing and getting gift cards
10. Dreaming about a kitchen aid mixer!

Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment