Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 2

Last night after I wound down from the day and was getting ready to go to bed, I felt my sugar drop. I had not eaten enough to keep my insulin levels at their normal levels. Who would of ever thought that I would fight low sugar! In response to this my husband suggest I eat some more protein so back to the eggs I went. I ate some egg substitute flavored with garlic, pepper, and minced onion and topped off with a two small handfuls of cheddar cheese. I did this in response to my body and my sugar. No one should ever put themselves in danger for the sake of a few lbs!!! Please note that I'm taking advice from my dietician and altering this and listening to my body. So very important to do. With this "meal," my protein for the day was over 85g.

I woke up this morning wanting to snuggle more with my hubby, but alas off to work I go! I knew today may be a little tough, but I am determined to make it. I felt energized this morning and not sluggish. I didn't feel like my body weighed me down and I didn't have anything bad for me yesterday either! I was so proud of myself. This morning I got up and prepped for work. Excercise will be done prior to bed tonight :-)

Prepping for work was a little tricky. Here is what I brought to work with me today:
1. magic bullet
2. two pre-made smoothies without the liquid
3. blade for magic bullet
4. 1 yogurt

my smoothie cup in the fridge!
5. water bottle filled with 2 1/2 cups of 2% milk (still trying to use up the gallon we bought) 6. 1 bunch of grapes for afternoon sugar boost
7. bottles of propel water
8. baby spoon

I started off with my "Sticky Monkey" Smoothie (#2 from yesterday's post)

Smoothie #2 - "Sticky Monkey"

1 1/2 cups of milk
2.5 tbsp of peanut butter
1/2 of medium banana (left over from smoothie #1) that was frozen

Protein Count
Milk = 12g
Banana = 1g
Peanut Butter = 4.5
Total = 17g

I increased the peanut butter in response to my body yesterday and fighting the hunger and sugar. The smoothie was smooth and a little frothy. I sipped it on the way to work and finished it off at my desk. When I sat down I had a moment of huge anxiety. How was I going to deal with candy being in the office? I'm on soft food - omg what are my co-workers going to say? How am I going to prepare for hunger today? Low sugar? Then I thought to think that this was super crazy for me to do. Ok I had to blog and get all this out. Here is where I am. I hope you all don't think I'm crazy, but it is like being a little kid again...you just want to be normal! Life as a WLS patient is anything but normal.


Hello Kitty is helping me on my liquids

Pre-lunch time and post 1 bottle and half of propel zero, I had my second smoothie for the day. I wasn't that hungry, but I knew I needed to fuel my body. Smoothie #4 was delcious.

Smoothie #4 - "Tropical Creamsicle"

1/2 cup of milk
1/2 banana sliced thin
3 tsbp of strawberries (pre-sweetened with splenda)
1.5 heaping tbsp of dices pinneapple and some juice


Protein Count
Milk = 5g
Banana = 1 gram
Strawberries = 3g
Total = 9g
Total for the day so far = 26g

What I really liked about this smoothie is it was chunky, think, and smooth tasting. It let me chew a little bit since I didn't over mix it for the pinneapple. I enjoyed it and it filled me up pretty well. I had to remember and slow down fill the fullness of my tummy and stop for a bit.

3 hours later, I'm hungry again, but luckily for me I've got another smoothie prepped ahead. This smoothi is great for the sugar drop that I usually get around 2 or 3 pm every day and it is wonderfully fulfilling.

Smoothie #3 - "Sweet and Tart" (#3 from yesterday's post)

6 oz  of OJ
1 small handful of blackberries
1/2 cup of strawberries (that I had pre-sweetened with splenda)
Note: I added more OJ this time to make it more drinkable with the berries and to increase the sweet flavor that I was craving

Protein Count
OJ=2g
Strawberries = 2.5g
Blackberries=1g
Total=5.5g
Total for the day so far = 31.5g

One thing that I've learned alot about in doing this program and research is how I can find protein in fruits and veggies. Though I haven't made any veggie shakes, I definitely could do that as part of this system. I am amazed at how much protein comes in other forms. I think I had my protein blinders on and was focusing on just meat, cheese, and dairy. There are so many more options out there! With options comes temptations and today at work there was one huge one - pound cake. I wanted a bite so bad so I took it chewed it up tasted it and spit it out....I can't believe I have no will power!

So instead I grabbed a small bunch of grapes I brought with me and munched through those. It helped the cravings and the feelings of hunger. Even though I've drank all my liquid, I am hungry and there isn't a surprise there for me because I'm eating so differently than I have been doing. The headache sucks and I'm going to solve that right now with my chocolate shakeology shake or so I thought - the chocolate one didn't sit at well as I thought, but I'm drinking as much of it as I can. Can't beat 22g of protein in one shot, but it is going to need some doctoring. I ended up drinking about half and will add things to it at home. Total protein for the day so far is 42.5g.

Tonight for dinner I had a sensible dinner. I made cauliflower that was similar to mashed potatoes that was steamed and then mashed with some margarine and sour cream. I heated up some canned carrots. I also made some chicken tenders that was baked in a shake and bake method. Now, this if the first real food I've had in over 48 hours minus eggs, but I have to say I felt the difference in my pouch. It took me a very long time to eat my dinner and I almost ate in shifts. I was able to balance the chicken and veggies and I felt full - noticed my fullness - and was able to stop and chew. I even commented on this to my husband and he just smiled because it was back to the old tummy. I was really hungry this evening and I don't know why, but I'm keeping my head up and will continue to try.  Protein so far with dinner is 63g.


2 comments:

  1. Seems like a tough day for you but you succeeded!! Great job!! What'd you think of the chocolate Shakeology?? I've been meaning to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in all honesty i didn't like the chocolate shakeology. i even added banana and peanut butter when i got home but the protein powdery taste came through and i couldn't stomach it. i do like the tropical flavor of the shakeology alot though!

      Delete