Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pumpkin Apple Curry Soup with Sausage

I adore squash, but particularly pumpkin. Now that I've learned to cook with canned pumpkin (which is cheap and available all year long) I am able to have great pumpkin foodie moments. One of the dishes I learned to make post WLS was a pumpkin apple curry soup. A chef friend that I used to work with made it one day and I fell in love, but it took me years to learn to make it and to buy curry. Let's be honest I'm not a big curry fan, but I adore madras curry. Yum, yum, and more yum. So right now madras curry is only used in this recipe in my house, but I'm determined to find something else to make with it. Back to the pumpkin soup.

I've had a craving for soup - my tummy craves odd things, but now that I need to focus on complex carbs I found out that pumpkin is one of those and can help balance sugar drop - so here I go to make some soup.
I utilized this recipe here  It is a great recipe but I make the following alterations:

  1. I omit celery. I can't have it so I just omit it. I add extra onion!!!
  2. I add a little bit of minced garlic into my onion and apple saute
  3. I use madras curry instead of mild curry
  4. I omit salt and the bay leaf
  5. I use a combo of honey (2 tbsp) and I add splenda as well (i like sweet) - splenda = 1/2 cup
  6. I add 1 large tbsp of cinnamon
  7. I made my own heavy cream (lower in fat due to margarine and low fat milk) and used a whole cup instead of a 1/3 cup (increased protein for me and made it richer)
  8. I added pre-cooked sausage crumbles ( 2 handfuls)
This recipe makes a large pot of soup. It will feed me for awhile and though it may be rich and somewhat higher in calorie with the sausage - it is a treat for a meal. I won't eat my weight in it, but I could!!! It also freezes pretty well without the meat in it. This is the first time I've used meat, but I'll let you know how that goes!

Calorie Info:

Nutritional Info


Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 153.2

Total Fat: 7.3 g

Cholesterol: 22.5 mg

Sodium: 59.2 mg

Total Carbs: 25.0 g

Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g

Protein: 2.7 g








No comments:

Post a Comment