Thursday, November 3, 2011

Doing Something


I'm a list person. I like to cross things off a list. I like to feel accomplished. I have a need to be busy a need to do things and a need no more of a want to have my plate full. Balance can be easy and balance can be hard. Balance is something that I work on all the time. Some days I win and some days I lose. I'm reminded of balance and it is put in front of my face when I'm most anxious. I would rather work till I have no life in me or I avoid the issues at hand to focus on the biggest picture. I admit - I'm not the best at balance, but it is something that I need to work on just like I worked on my life with food, working out, being healthy. Different problem same types of discipline needed. I need to be accountable to someone and I need the help of laying out a balanced life.

So what does a balance life look like? I really don't know because I've been surrounded by work-a-holics my whole life. I have a type A personality and those characteristics of a type A don't lend to balance, but if I look at the history of my life and my family, then I need to achieve balance.

What does balance look like for me? First, it has to be reasonable. The way I want to see balance is to have a more compartmentalized life that allows me to have the experience of filling my "cup" in my work life, filling my "cup" in my married life, filling my "cup" in regards to my own wants - crafting, cooking, class taking for fun, and then filling my "cup" of friends. There needs to be a time for work, a time for play, a time to learn, a time to heal, a time to sleep, a time to recharge, and time to love. I'm reminded of the verse in the bible about seasons today. That is what I currently don't have. I'm good at on and off, but I'm not good at filling my "cups" to leave a balance life. I don't put enough work on those things that aren't work and health ....even marriage gets put aside sometimes. I'm being real and this....is real. So where do I start?

For me its just writing it out. I need to think. I need to make goals. I need action. I need to keep moving towards balance and it will take work, but you know I know I can do it because 1) i have the drive 2) i have a support system 3) i have the want and 4) if i can live such a microscopic life after WLS I can achieve balance and make my WLS journey even better! So step 1 = i admit it...i suck at balance. step 2 - lets figure this out!

Any suggestions on how you balance your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment